You know, there’s a quote that says “You are the sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with”, and I am finding that to be 100% true.
I have a new friend, Darcy Monette, and to be completely honest, I’ve spent ZERO time with her. Unless you count a 30 minute phone conversation as time spent together. She is not someone that is in my “5 people that I spend the most time with” bucket.
And yet, I believe that because I am choosing to spend time with people that are positive, kind, uplifting, motivated, healthy (in mind/body/spirit), real, and fun, I am being given the opportunity to meet women like Darcy. So I consider her one of the “5 people” purely by extension of the circle I live in.
Part of my job for the Inspired You Event is to interview the speakers. Sounds easy enough. I love a good story that involves awesome women, I get to meet new people, how hard could it be?
Hard. If it’s summer, the weather is gorgeous, and you are trying to interview busy women that are working and trying to enjoy a little summer simultaneously (me included), it’s hard.
Darcy and I couldn’t find a time that worked for both of us to meet in person, so we agreed a ‘quick’ phone conversation would be best. I told her it shouldn’t take more than 15 minutes, I just had a few questions to ask.
30 minutes (and counting) later…
Let me introduce you to my friend, and Breakout Session Speaker (Is Your Body Your Temple?), Darcy Monette!
- She is married with two kids, ages 14 and 13
- She is a Certified Personal Trainer with a Health and Wellness Certification
- She is a PASSIONATE believer in Goal Setting and Accountability
Let’s get to know her a little more:
- Darcy became a Personal Trainer after facing her own struggles with food addiction and body image. In her free time she found herself studying healthy living/eating books and she got herself into the rooms of Celebrate Recovery to help her deal with her “stuff”.
- She was in a car accident that left her with chronic pain. This was a dark time in her life, she was unable to do her personal training at the gym, she was forced to evaluate her next steps. How was she going to keep herself healthy, not only physically but mentally and spiritually too?
- She had to create a vision for her life at this point and set some goals to get herself there. Goal Setting and Accountability are two tools that she is passionate about because she knows she wouldn’t have been able to get through that ‘dark time’ without them. She has since created her own Goal Achieving and Accountability Groups (THIS is my language! And where we couldn’t stop talking on our phone call!)
- She is inspired by her clients. Not only because of their hard work but because they provide her with her own ‘a-ha’ moments (and they don’t even know it!). Vacations with her family in Hawaii give her a good dose of inspiration tooJ
- The Goal-Achieving groups help her find balance in her life. It’s helpful for her to have people holding her accountable to the commitments she’s made to herself. Her goals aren’t just business oriented, they also include a self-care aspect, and a challenge to do something that gets her out of her comfort zone.
And a few more fun tidbits:
- If she had a day with nothing to do she would sleep late, watch Netflix and read books all day.
- Her favorite book is Intuitive Eating by Evelyn Tribole and Elyse Resch
- What she’s reading right now? Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth About Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar – Your Brain’s Silent Killers by David Perlmutter and Kristin Loberg.
- What she would read on a guilty pleasure day? A murder mystery
- A secret that many of you may not know…she LOVES slasher movies and her favorite is Texas Chainsaw Massacre. What???
Darcy’s advice for you:
“What works for one person may be poison for another. Spending time finding what works for you as an individual to help you feel balanced and healthy can lead you to feeling strong and sexy in your body.”
And when I asked her why she was excited to speak at the Inspired You Event, here’s what she had to say:
“I have come to realize that we all share similar struggles, insecurities, and doubts. When we have some tools, even one or two new ones, that really resonate with us, we become inspired to keep growing and seeking out more ‘tools’ to keep us getting healthier, stronger, and more confident. I am so blessed to have an opportunity to add to women’s ‘tool belts’ at the Inspired You celebration!”
We look forward to seeing you at the Inspired You Event on October 2, 2016, and be sure to check Health and Fitness by Design… Darcy’s website!